Shevchenko Institute of Literature is the unique governmental academic research institution for studying literature in Ukraine. Shevchenko Institute of Literature is a structural subdivision of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
During the eighty-year history of the Institute there has been intensive and fruitful researching and publishing activity. Almost all editions of the classic works of the Ukrainian writers, which are widely used all around the world, were prepared in the Institute.
- to study the Ukrainian and world literature;
- to pursue fundamental researches on theory and history of literature;
- to coordinate literary studies in Ukraine;
- to prepare scholars;
- to collect, preserve and study manuscripts of Ukrainian writers.
The Institute collaborates with the educational system of Ukraine. Programs, textbooks, handbooks, and anthologies prepared by scholars of the Institute, are used in schools, colleges and universities of the country.
Now the Institute scholars work at such important projects:
- Shevchenko Encyclopedia in 4 vol.;
- New Complete Academic Edition of T. Shevchenko’s Writings in 12 vol.;
- New Academic History of Ukrainian Literature in 12 vol.;
- Anthology of Modern Comparative Literature.
- Director – Mykola G. Zhulynsky, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Philology.
- Deputy Director for Research Administration – Mykola M. Sulyma, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Philology.
- Managing Director – Tetyana P. Gah.
- Executive Secretary – Gennady M. Noga, Candidate of Philology.
99 scholars of the Institute, 24 Doctors of Philology and 67 Candidates of Philology are among them, work in such departments:
- Manuscript and Textual Studies Department
- Old Ukrainian Literature Department
- Classical Ukrainian Literature Department
- Ukrainian Literature of the 20th Century Department
- Shevchenko Studies Department
- Theory of Literature Department
- World Literatures Department
- Comparative Literature Department
- Scientific Information Department / Library
- Lviv Division of the Institute
The Institute supports several literary research centers and laboratories in other regions of Ukraine.
Important resource funds:
The Fund of Manuscripts of the Ukrainian writers (over 100,000 items) is a national treasure of Ukraine.
The Library founded in 1926 is a significant collection of fictional texts and critical works in Ukrainian and other European languages (160,000 items).
Periodicals, published under the auspices of the Institute:
- Word and Time (Slovo i Chas) (till 1990 it was titled Soviet Literary Studies (Radyanske Literaturoznavstvo).
- Window into the World (Vikno v Svit).
- Comparative Literature in Ukraine (Literaturna Komparatyvistyka).
- American Literary Studies in Ukraine (Amerykanski Literaturni Studiyi v Ukrayini).
- Heritage. Literary Source Studies. Textual Study (Spadschyna. Literaturne Dzhereloznavstvo. Tekstolohia).
- Literary Horizons. Works of Beginners (Leteraturoznavchi Obriyi).